Thursday, April 7, 2011

Fire Towers Rule!

In 2008 I decided I wanted to stay in a fire tower on my trip out west.  I started researching online and found what looked like two fire towers to stay in that were right up my alley.  I wanted remoteness and I definitely got it!

The first tower was McCart Lookout located in Montana (my favorite state - absolute favorite state - never get sick of what I see there).  It was outside of Sula MT that I picked up a forest service road and drove up to a trail head to park (as the tower was only accessible by a 1.5 mile moderate hike or horseback).  I threw on my AARP backpack (this thing is external frame for God's sake but it did the job) and hiked up.  What a view up there... just forest and silence for miles.  And the size of the thing was pretty amazing... I didn't realize (in comparison to the eastern towers I have seen) just how spacious the towers out west are.

Trail in the Anaconda Pintler Wilderness on the way to McCart Lookout Tower
The majority of these towers (the vast majority) have no power, running water, or amenities that some people absolutely require.  In case you were wondering why I would need an external frame backpack on a 1.5 mile hike... it was carry in/carry out and you had to bring your own sleeping back, food, and water.  The sweet thing about the tower was the fireplace.  It was nice to build a wood fire to keep toasty in there, although in the morning (like a dork) I had the damper closed and the tower filled up w/ smoke leaving me and my gear to reek of wood (but I kinda thought that was cool to smell like woodsmoke).  It also made for an interesting evening when the sun went down.  No lights!  I played solitaire in there until I couldn't see anymore... then I hit the sack and woke up in the middle of the night to see the stars.  The tower offered a 360 view - a big square of windows with a 360 catwalk around... these towers just rock!

McCart Lookout (aka Fire) Tower near Sula Montana
Inside the tower w/ the stove that kept me warm (and heated my coffee)
Another fascinating thing that I learned about fire towers was a method for determining location to a fire.  Most towers were once equipped w/ an instrument known as an Osborne Fire Finder.  I didn't know jack about these until I got to McCart...there was one of them in the tower.  The fire finder operates as a site for determining orientation of a distant object (i.e. the fire) coupled w/ a topo map to determine actual fire location.  What a neat piece of history to see and use while staying at the tower.  The following links have good info on the fire finder:


http://www.socalfirelookouts.org/Osborne%20Fire-Finder%20History.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_Fire_Finder

Osborne Fire Finder at McCart Tower
The second tower I went to was Fall Mountain Tower outside of John Day Oregon (another wonderful western state!).  Although it was up a long forest service road (and my car bottomed out - whoops!), there was power to it.  If I'm not mistaken (and I should look it up but I'm too lazy right now ;-) this is the only fire tower in OR that has power.  It had lights, a stove, and even outlets.  I still had to go to the outhouse though!  Fall Mountain offered beautiful views and had the same layout and design as McCart.  One difference...when the wind  blew at Fall Mountain I really noticed it.  The best part... I found this little wooden stool w/ insulators (like the old kind you see in antique stores that used to go on telegraph poles) on the feet of the stool.  I looked in the booklet left by the Forest Service and this little wonder of nature (I still laugh about this) is what you are to stand on during a lightning storm.  Yikes!

Fall Mountain Fire Tower near John Day Oregon
Inside Fall Mountain Tower
The Infamous Stool to Use During a Lightning Storm
Both of these fire towers offered a unique experience that I have since repeated on other vacations.  I try each year to stay in a fire tower or guard station... it is fun, inexpensive, and an interesting way to spend your trip!  The best link for guard stations/fire towers/cabins/yurts, etc. by state is:

http://www.recreation.gov/

You reserve directly through the site, you get the cost, date availability, details on the tower/cabin (i.e. if you need to have 4x4 to get to it or if there is electricity).  Everything you need to get started is on this site.  The forest service site may also have information of use (as these towers/cabins are generally on forest service land):

http://www.fs.fed.us/

I think once you (alone or w/ friends and family) experience one of these, you'll want to start a bucket list of fire towers!

No comments:

Post a Comment