Saturday, April 2, 2011

Moab Rocks (literally and figuratively)

It didn't take much thinking to figure out what I wanted my first post to be about on my new blog.  I love Moab Utah.  My man has been going out to Salt Lake on a ski trip with friends for several years and invited me to go along three years ago.  I don't downhill ski; however, I travel alone more often than not and figured that I would just wander off on my own someplace while everyone skied.  So I researched areas which I thought would be good for picture taking, as I am an amateur photographer and typically plan my vacations around where/what to photograph.  I decided I would rent my own car and head down to Moab.  It turns out my love wanted to go with me too.  Ever since that first year I went, he skis at the beginning and end of the trip and goes to Moab with me in the middle.  I wanted to showcase some Moab pictures in this post and share with you some fun things we have enjoyed doing while in Moab and the surrounding areas.  

1) Hiking in Moab: There are so many trails to hike at different skill levels with so many different views.  You can hike long/flat miles or short/steep ones (like the Portal trail).  We have always visited Moab in March, so we have hiked in snow storms one day and short sleeves the next.  

Hiking up Portal Trail facing the La Sal Mountains



















2) Jeepin' in Moab:  I never imagined having so much fun taking jeep trails in the high desert, but the first year we went to Moab this was a "must do" on my man's list.  It really is the highlight of our trip there.  Normally I would say hiking or photography is my favorite part of a trip; however, its nice to be able to cover more territory in a jeep considering the limited time we are there.  Plus... when we go... no one is around (and I mean no one).  You get out there and its dead silent.  We take a picnic lunch and just go.  

Check out this site for more details:

Jeepin' off White Rim Road at the Intersection of Lathrop Canyon Road
3) Photographing in Moab:  Ok I've covered that a bit in the last two since I included some photos, but I can't say enough how many unique opportunities there are for pictures.  You have mountains with greenery and snow, red rock high desert, arches, canyons, critters... on and on it goes.  Even when the weather doesn't give you blue sky and sunshine, cool things can be captured with your camera.
Colorado River Overlook on White Rim Road
Storm over La Sal Mountains

4) Star Gazing in Moab: Although I currently don't have anything pictorially to show for it, I have to say from previous experience that stargazing out here is amazing.  I live in a somewhat rural area in PA and frequently look up at Orion and never realized (until looking at him out there) how many little stars you can actually see and how the spirals of the Milky Way really stand out.  My next adventure out there will be to jeep or hike out to an area where no one else is located and camp out under those stars.

5) Eatin' and Drinkin' in Moab: So many places to eat/drink... its unreal!  Each time we go, we have favorites we go back to and new ones we try.  From the authentic shredded beef tacos at Fiesta Mexicana to the home brews at The Moab Brewery and the live music at Eddie McStiffs, there is something for everyone.  

Check out these sites for more details:
http://www.themoabbrewery.com/

Pictures below were taken by my man (JCM)




 There are many more things about Moab that can be mentioned here (mountain biking, art, National Parks).  I'll have a Part II to this post at another date to cover some other great things about Moab.










No comments:

Post a Comment